Friday, July 4, 2008

The Middle Child Strikes Again

It is profound to note here that your place of work is filled with oldest children, middle children, and  babies.  In my humor  class I ask students to identify where they were and what was funny about it.  This wonderful response came from Katrina:

"I was born at a very early age in life, as many were. I was the youngest. It was really fun being the youngest. I got to do anything my little heart desired, including biting, without consequence my two older sisters. My niche in life was being the youngest and used it to my every advantage.

One day while basking in my two year old little glory, my mother, the conniving joker of a woman she is, brought a baby home from who knows where. The brown hair baby girl suddenly took my spot ---as the youngest. I was the second youngest. This was still OK. Not perfect but it would do. My cute locks of gold flittered in the sun and my big blue eyes could still win anything.

After getting settled in my second youngest spot SHE DID IT AGAIN!! MY SISTER'S MOTHER BROUGHT HOME ANOTHER BABY.  The least she could have done was bring home a boy, but oh no...she brought a girl. Not just any girl, but one with blond hair and blue eyes.  Another version of me.  

And that is when the term 'youngest' was forever stricken from my title. The "Middle Child" was my new devastating title. Two older sisters, two younger sisters. Two older to manipulate and scar me, two younger to screech and get me grounded. It didn't dawn on me until later in life that my parents had always had it in for me.  The other children had sweet names like Aubry, Molly, Emily, and Shelly.  I was named Katrina in anticipation of the horrible hurricane to follow."

Management  note:  Be careful of  fellow employees in the workplace who are middle children---particularly if they have a great sense of humor.

No comments: