Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Exaggeration Exercise?

Yes. You can have fun expanding a "truth" about yourself. Here are a few examples from my humor class:

  • I talk to myself all day while driving and tell myself jokes and laugh. Other drivers think I'm crazy. They may be right.
  • In the morning I take 20 minutes getting my hat ready to put on my head, take the cleanest clothes out of the dirty mess on the floor. On the way to work I yell at other drivers. At the end of the day I go home and talk for hours with my best friend: The television.
  • I am technical. If someone asks for the time I tell them it is 4:42 not a quarter to five. If someone asks me what I did I tell them---precisely what time I did it and where. My boy friend doesn't understand this----particularly when I report things like precisely what color shirt my waiter was wearing at lunch.
  • I need to decorate space. Bows and flowers, pillows, and knickknacks. I dream about Ethan Allen. I can't think straight when there is an unpainted white wall.
  • I have a love of olives: black, green, and stuffed with anything. Sometimes I bounce them off my children's forehead. At my bachelor's party we stomped them into the floor when we missed tossing them into a ring.
  • I talk with my hands more than my mouth. Sometimes I can't figure out why people around me keep flinching and ducking. Then suddenly I realize they're trying to avoid possible serious injury.
  • Most of the time I get this overwhelming feeling that I am boring. I have the feeling that when I say something to someone they will turn to someone else and speak as if I hadn't said anything. It's ridiculous, particularly when I determine that I didn't say anything to anyone.
  • I blow my nose and I leave my Kleenex in my nostrils. It keeps my nose warm. It keep the air warm that I breathe. I look at myself in the mirror and think I wouldn't want anyone else to see this.
  • I have a cowlick that pops up every time I touch it. It has a mind of its own. My girl friend makes it a habit to touch it. I could weld it down and it it would still pop up.

No comments: